Welcome to the High School Page!
While this page is still a work-in-progress, there are several helpful resources and links for teachers’ use in implementing the Core State Standards. Here’s a short description of each:
- Core State Standards with “I Can” Statements for Grades 7 – 12: Lists reading, writing, speaking & listening, and language standards with associated “I Can” statements in order from seventh to twelfth grades.
- High School Units At-a-Glance: Teachers can see where each standard is covered throughout the school year as illustrated by these spreadsheets grade by grade or 10th through 12th.
- Grades 10, 11, and 12 Units: Each unit plan features “focus standards” – specific standards to emphasize, along with associated “I Can” statements. This does not mean other standards and objectives may not be addressed during the course of that unit’s instruction.
- Optional topics/motifs to use with units: Because learning is enhanced when taught within a context, these pages provide topics, enduring understanding statements, essential questions and resources that can serve as frameworks for the units. (Go to HOMEPAGE to read rationale.)
TENTH GRADE CURRICULUM UNITS:
Optional Topics/Motifs to Use with 10th Grade Units:
Optional Topics and Motifs to Use with 11th Grade Units
Note: These topics are chronologically arranged and correlate with most 11th grade anthologies and U.S. history textbooks.
- The New World*
- A New Nation
- American Romanticism
- A Troubled Young Nation
- Emerging Modernism
- Challenges and Successes of the Twentieth Century
TWELFTH GRADE CURRICULUM UNIT
Optional Topics/Motifs to Use with 12th Grade Units
- Conformity and Nonconformity*
- Cultural Conflict*
- Evolution of the Hero*
- Power and Ethics*
- Innocence and Experience*
- Moral Ambiguity
- Social Influence and Responsibility
- Search for Self
- Utopia *
* Note: Resources for starred motifs are more complete. Additional helps are in the process of being added.